Hows your system’s Weather?
System – Automated Logic
How does weather fit into your system? Possible pre-cool or pre-warm up scheduling based on forcast in order to take advantage of building load changes?
Weather retrieves both current weather conditions and forecasts. This weather information may be displayed on a graphic page or written to a control program for use in control logic.
This version supports two sources of weather information:
- The US National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Weather Service (NWS). This free data is only updated once an hour. At some weather stations data is not updated overnight. Please use this one if it satisfies your needs.
- WeatherBug.com. This is a paid service for which ALC is picking up the tab. It provides data from many more weather stations than NWS (including international stations). ALC is charged per data query, so please consider this when using this data source.
The different weather services provide different data fields, so you must use the graphic and control program that matches the weather service provider that you choose. The data you need may determine which weather service you use.
National Weather Service
- 5 day forecast includes probability of precipitation
- 5 day forecast does NOT have probability of precipitation
- Current conditions indludes:
- Percent Light
- Feels Like (temperature)
- Rain Rate
- Rain Today
- Rain this Month
- Rain this Year
- Wet Bulb Temperature
We would prefer that you use the National Weather Service data if it meets your needs.
When writing data to a control program in WebCTRL 4.1, only parameter microblocks can be updated. The provided control programs you can download from this page have been modified to work this way, so WebCTRL 4.1 SP1b is fully supported.
See the Documentation tab for configuration instructions.
- Supports HTTP redirects, which some proxies use.
- Fixes a problem handling incomplete forecast data from NWS. If you are using National Weather Service as your weather service and the view page sometimes does not show all days in the forecast (not question marks, just missing data) this bug might be affecting you. The log file named “addon-weather.txt” might also have text like “Error writing foecast data to CP <path>”.
- Version 2.2.0 adds support for HTTP proxies.
- This version really does not require the Enterprise license feature. Version 2.1 was supposed to offer this, but it only half-way solved the issue. This version fully corrects the issue.
- Fixed handling of times to properly use TimeZone information available from the weather services.
When updating to this version, note that the Standard Equipment and Graphic for NWS and the Standard Graphic for WeatherBug also changed and should be updated.
- This add-on no longer requires the Enterprise license feature. Any WebCTRL system can now use Weather. In WebCTRL 5.2, the Web Applications page to manage add-ons curently requires the Enterprise license feature. A forth-coming patch will remove this limitation. Until then, the add-on can be installed by copying the .war file to the webserver/webapps directory under the WebCTRL installation directory and restarting WebCTRL.
- Updated the National Weather Service (NWS) weather source to calculate “feels like” temperatures. These calculations are based on the formulas provided by NOAA. A big thanks to Tim Vann for inspiring this feature by implementating similar logic in a control program. By doing it directly in the add-on, however, we can make the WeatherBug and NWS weather sources more similar. This change required the associated NWS .view and .equipment files to be updated.
- Updated the WeatherBug and NWS views to correctly indicate wind direction. The “wind arrows” previously pointed in the wind direction, which was confusing since this means they pointed “into” the wind. They now point in the opposite direction (and the label now reads “from South” to further avoid confusion).
- Added an error message when missing the Enterprise Integration license
- There are new graphics for 2.0.3 which fix a bug rendering wind directions from the north.
- Fixes an important bug. Previously the Engineer System privilege was required just to view the graphics page. Now it is only required to configure the weather sources. Note that this change just affects the .war file, the Equipment and Graphics files were not updated.
- Support for WeatherBug weather service (supports use outside of the US)
- Support for control program data in WebCTRL 4.1SP1b
- Standard control program supports energy reports with no changes